Korean true crime, dark history, ghost tales, folklore, serial killers, and more.
You are about to discover why Korea has the spookiest stories and darkest history.
Subscribe, sit back, and enjoy.
Joe & Shawn
Folklorist Shawn and history buff Joe delve into Korea’s gruesome stories of massacres, betrayals, and blood. It’s like “Game of Thrones” in Asia. We share our passion for Korea and its struggles throughout time. If you enjoy shows like “Kingdom,” this is the podcast for you. Even if you know nothing about Korea, its history will become your new addiction.
For early access, video podcasts, extra tales, and more…
become a Patreon subscriber for as low as $5 a month.
Patreon subscribers get lots of extra content. Dokkaebi Tier Patreon subscribers also get a free horror-themed gift mailed to their home each month.
- Why Is Itaewon?Why has Itaewon historically been the village of foreigners? Why was the U.S. military base positioned … Read more
- Five Reasons You Believe in Ghosts (And You Know You Do)Here are five reasons people believe in ghosts. We also share ghostly experiences people have submitted for our upcoming book–and we’re still taking submissions. Listen for details.
- Don’t Do Drugs in Korea, Mmmkayy?“There aren’t any drugs in Korea.” Shyah, right! We upend this myth with the history of drugs in both South and North Koreas. Which drugs are popular, where do they come from, and where can you get them? We answer two out of three.
- Korean Horror TV | Guest: Pierce Conran (K-Drama Critic)South Korea huddled every Sunday night from the ‘70s to late ‘80s to watch the horror series “Hometown Legends” (Jeonseolui Gohyang 전설의고향). Now Korean horror TV is experiencing a resurgence. What makes Korean horror TV unique? How does it differ from horror film?
- The Dark Sides of Popular Tourist SitesGhost stories, sex scandals, massacres, and intrigue from the airport city of Incheon to the trendy alleys of Ikseon-dong. There’s a dark story behind these places that the tourism organizations don’t want you to know about.
- Off with Their Heads! Execution in KoreaThe death penalty has become a hot topic lately after #SorryJeongin. Shawn covers the history of gruesome and famous executions in Korean history and the state of South Korea’s death penalty today.
- Disasters that Shaped Modern Korea (21st Century)The 21st century started with fires and serial killers as disasters went from a macro to a human level.
- “The Disaster Republic”: Disasters that Shaped Modern Korea (1990s)The 1990s were known as “The Disaster Republic.” The earlier decade’s rush to build the country resulted in horrific building and bridge collapses.
- Disasters that Shaped Modern Korea (1980s)The 1980s saw its share of air disasters and terrorism from North Korea. Plus the Hwaseong serial murders that weren’t solved until 2019.
- Disasters that Shaped Modern Korea (1950s-70s)In the first of four episodes, we cover sinkings, fires, hijackings, and mass murders that still echo through society.
- The Dark Side of SoolGuest: Julia Mellor – The Sool Company https://thesoolcompany.com The Glories and Stories of Korean Liquor. Korean … Read more
- It’s Our Birthday & We’ll Die if We Want ToThe podcast is one year old! We break down the year and discuss Korean first birthday … Read more