Korean true crime, dark history, ghost tales, folklore, serial killers, and more.
You are about to discover why Korea has the spookiest stories and darkest history.
Subscribe, sit back, and enjoy.
Joe & Shawn
Folklorist Shawn and history buff Joe delve into Korea’s gruesome stories of massacres, betrayals, and blood. It’s like “Game of Thrones” in Asia. We share our passion for Korea and its struggles throughout time. If you enjoy shows like “Kingdom,” this is the podcast for you. Even if you know nothing about Korea, its history will become your new addiction.
For early access, video podcasts, extra tales, and more…
become a Patreon subscriber for as low as $5 a month.
Patreon subscribers get lots of extra content. Dokkaebi Tier Patreon subscribers also get a free horror-themed gift mailed to their home each month.
- Disasters that Shaped Modern Korea (1980s)Modern Korea was shaped as much by its disasters as its achievements. The 1980s saw its … Read more
- Disasters that Shaped Modern Korea (1950s-70s)Modern Korea was shaped as much by its disasters as its achievements. In the first of … Read more
- The Dark Side of SoolGuest: Julia Mellor – The Sool Company https://thesoolcompany.com The Glories and Stories of Korean Liquor. Korean … Read more
- It’s Our Birthday & We’ll Die if We Want ToThe podcast is one year old! We break down the year and discuss Korean first birthday … Read more
- Psycho Prince Yeonsan (Joseon’s Fall, part 2)Combine the sadism of Game of Throne’s King Joffrey and Ramsay “The Bastard” Bolton with Robert … Read more
- True Crime: Who was the Cyanide Killer?In the mid-1980s, people were randomly collapsing and dying around Seoul. Or was it random? On … Read more
- Divine Monks & Shapeshifters: Korean Folktale TypesKorean folktales carry universal memes you can find in European and African folklore. Evil stepmothers, shapeshifting … Read more
- Korean Independence Day: The Real Reasons It MattersWas Korean Independence a failed movement? Now that we’ve got your attention, we explore the events, … Read more
- The Execution of Deposed Queen Yun (Joseon’s Fall, part 1)The controversial Deposed Queen Yun kickstarted the events of the next hundred years. What led to … Read more
- Interview with the ShamanGuest – Jane Han Ling, Mudang (The Bridge) Instagram – @janehanling Kakao – Jane Han Ling … Read more
- The Rise and Fall of Hongdae’s Underground Music SceneGuest Jon Dunbar (Broken Korea, The Korea Times, DaehanminDecline.com, General Editor of Royal Asiatic Society) For … Read more
- Do Koreans Believe in Ghosts?Shawn surveyed 400 Korean citizens about their beliefs in ghosts. The results were intriguing. How do … Read more