Korean true crime, dark history, ghost tales, folklore, serial killers, and more.
You are about to discover why Korea has the spookiest stories and darkest history.
Subscribe, sit back, and enjoy.
Joe & Shawn
Folklorist Shawn and history buff Joe delve into Korea’s gruesome stories of massacres, betrayals, and blood. It’s like “Game of Thrones” in Asia. We share our passion for Korea and its struggles throughout time. If you enjoy shows like “Kingdom,” this is the podcast for you. Even if you know nothing about Korea, its history will become your new addiction.
For early access, video podcasts, extra tales, and more…
become a Patreon subscriber for as low as $5 a month.
Patreon subscribers get lots of extra content. Dokkaebi Tier Patreon subscribers also get a free horror-themed gift mailed to their home each month.
- Divine Monks & Shapeshifters: Korean Folktale TypesKorean folktales carry universal memes you can find in European and African folklore. Evil stepmothers, shapeshifting … Read more
- Korean Independence Day: The Real Reasons It MattersWas Korean Independence a failed movement? Now that we’ve got your attention, we explore the events, … Read more
- The Execution of Deposed Queen Yun (Joseon’s Fall, part 1)The controversial Deposed Queen Yun kickstarted the events of the next hundred years. What led to … Read more
- Interview with the ShamanGuest – Jane Han Ling, Mudang (The Bridge) Instagram – @janehanling Kakao – Jane Han Ling … Read more
- The Rise and Fall of Hongdae’s Underground Music SceneGuest Jon Dunbar (Broken Korea, The Korea Times, DaehanminDecline.com, General Editor of Royal Asiatic Society) For … Read more
- Do Koreans Believe in Ghosts?Shawn surveyed 400 Korean citizens about their beliefs in ghosts. The results were intriguing. How do … Read more
- O, DeathIs there a Korean afterlife? What are Korean funeral traditions? We also cover why some elevators … Read more
- #SorryJeongIn: Parents Murder Their ChildWARNING: This episode contains disturbing content. A special serious episode. South Korea has been horrified by … Read more
- 8 Weird and Surprising Seoul LandmarksPoop sculptures, the Berlin Wall, Incheon Airport’s phallic sculpture, a secret WWII Japanese air raid bunker, … Read more
- 2020 Year in ReviewHow dark was 2020 for Korea? From being the second country to get the ‘Rona to … Read more
- The Brutal Ends of the Six Martyrs | King Sejo part 2King Sejo’s bloody paranoid reign continues. Shortly after he usurps the throne, scholars and some military … Read more
- Young King, Power-hungry Uncle | King Sejo part 1In 1452 there was an 11-year-old king on the throne. Too bad he had mad uncles, … Read more